Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Mighty, Fallen

I don't normally comment on the passing of blogs I like, as most lapsed bloggers seem to come crawling back to the big B eventually, like a bird on its belly.

But LC seems determined to give up this time, so I thought I ought to say a few words to mark the occasion.

Which is more than I did when LC first came to work in my team. I was going through a terribly bad patch at the time, what with my marriage breaking up and everything, and I felt barely capable of taking responsibility for myself, let alone anyone else.

So, like all great leaders of men, I addressed this situation by almost completely ignoring LC in the workplace, in fear that if I acknowledged him, he would immediately discern that I was a feckless and irresponsible waste of a human life masquerading as some sort of professional superior.

As far as I recall, this carried on for some time, until one day I noticed that some character calling himself 'LC' had left a comment on this very blog. My amazing powers of deduction, combined with the fact that LC had referred to me in this comment as his boss, led me to conclude that this could only be the 'LC' whom we had recently employed.

Naturally I was utterly mortified, especially as in one of my recent posts I had been contemplating the twin temptations of committing suicide and buying expensive French underwear, neither of which, I felt, endowed me with a great deal of professional gravitas.

The only redeeming aspect of the whole sorry experience was that it appeared that 'LC' also had a blog, which at least meant that I might not be alone in the public embarrassment stakes. I was far too scared to look at LC's blog at first, though, in case it referred to me as a feckless and irresponsible waste of a human life masquerading as some sort of professional superior.

Luckily I got over all of this eventually, and LC's blog became staple reading, and one of the few blogs that really, really made me laugh. His review of King Kong, for example, now sadly lost to the world, had me weeping tears of mirth at my desk.

Towards the end it seemed that the female blogosphere could be divided into four categories: those who'd slept with LC; those who wanted to sleep with LC; those whom LC wanted to sleep with, and those whose relationship with LC was strictly professional (if feckless, irresponsible and charlatanical) at all times. I suppose we'll have to find a new taxonomy now.

Unless he comes back, of course. Then we'll just have to forget that this post ever happened. We are British, after all; it doesn't do to display sentiment.

14 comments:

GreatSheElephant said...

Um, wonders where I fall in that taxonomy. And indeed Sylvia.

I shall miss the blog. He could at least have the decency to repost an edited archive - say the movie reviews if nothing else.

Tim F said...

I still reckon he's a closet case. It's the pec obsession, y'know.

GreatSheElephant said...

urgh. I've just noticed that I switched from Internet third person to first person in the same sentence. My grammar. It be going to teh hellz.

Dave said...

I don't think I ever wanted to sleep with him.

Sylvia said...

GSE - you've read my mind! Just what I was thinking!

Could there be a fifth category? I can't think what at the moment, but something will come to me?
Perhaps living vicariously through his life?

And did he ever take my advice about the oven cleaning?

LC said...

Bless you P.

Am missing it already, I keep composing posts in my head before remembering, sadly, that I have nowhere to post to.

patroclus said...

GSE: I agree about the film reviews; I always thought they deserved a blog of their own. Re. your grammar, I thought you were merely imitating West Country sex symbol Phil Harding.

Tim: He *did* look favourably on that '300' film, come to think of it.

Dave: But are you a female blogger? Think carefully now.

Sylvia/GSE: I'm sure the Linnaean taxonomy of LC's female blog readers could cope with another couple of categories. Plus an extra one for Dave.

LC: What about the sexblog - is that still going?

Ian said...

LC's blog made me laugh more than any other. I miss it.

Unknown said...

I never read LC's blog, but now I wish I had. Bums.

LC said...

The rude blog has gone too. It was all a good laugh, but I just don't have the time for unnecessary distractions at the moment. Maybe if things change, I'll start again one day, but that's unlikely to happen any time soon.

Annie said...

Meh. That's all I can think of to say.

Nice post though, Patroclus.

Annie said...

I don't miss it, it was pants.

Can we add 'women who wanted to pelt him with rotten tomatoes whilst he was manacled in stocks'?

llewtrah said...

I agree with GSE - the taxonomy doesn't seem to include one for me. Maybe "those who don't know LC" are merely in a waiting area ready to go into one of the 4 categories.

Anonymous said...

LC was the funniest blogger I've read. I haven't read many. Alright, I admit, he wrote some of the funniest stuff I've read full stop — and I have read some other stuff so there.