Friday, July 07, 2006

Albums I Would Buy Just For The Cover, No. 1

The Tiny - Starring: Someone Like You

I don't know if that's a giant Moomin (Moominzilla!) weeping over some Toytown tower blocks, but isn't it just lovely?

Apparently Swedish acoustic 'collective' The Tiny were on tour last month with my top showbiz chum* Ed Harcourt. How I missed this is beyond me.

Tomorrow, if I get my webspace working, my inaugural mp3 posting (hubristic pre-emptive fanfare please) will be The Tiny's 'Lake', which is seven minutes and eleven seconds of icy Tori Amos-esque vocals, sparse double bass and twinkling piano bits, and is an exquisite song about being in love while at the same time being in the middle of a lake, for reasons unspecified. And as such it should definitely have accompanied those scenes in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind where Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet are making snow angels on the frozen lake.

Oo, wouldn't movie soundtrack-chooser just be the Best Job Ever?

Right! Not quite the way I was going to do it, but here goes:

The Tiny - Lake

(buy from iTunes | buy from Amazon)


UPDATE: Oh my GOD, it actually works!! It seems to be in iTunes (m4a) format, rather than mp3, but it works, by god! Oo, I feel like the Wright brothers!! Right, best go and see to some disclaimers...


UPDATE 2: Oh yes, that's what I meant to say - everyone is to go to Billy's, where there is a fabulous pop lyric quiz on the go! No cheating now...


* In the sense that I was once introduced to him, whereupon he said 'hello', and I said 'hello'. Oh yes, I'm quite the dazzling raconteur, me.


tags:

12 comments:

Dave said...

I look forward, eagerly, to my continued musical education.

patroclus said...

I'm trying, Dave, but I'm being thwarted at every turn. Damn this FTP nonsense all to hell (sorry).

Molly Bloom said...

Shame you missed the industrial folk record. I might have something else similar. Keep a look out on the freecycle bloggeth pleasexx Shall go and search around in the dark den that is 'my stuff.'

Billy said...

Well the tune worked, and it was excellent!

Thanks for bigging up my quiz by the way. :)

Molly Bloom said...

That cover is really lovely. It does remind me of a moomin pic.

BiScUiTs said...

Nice cover and I agree it does look like a moomin, a moomin crossed with an owl wearing a devil costume or something hehe. He is obviously sad because of all the overdevelopment in his local town (hence the tower blocks). Obviously. Okay maybe not then.

Anonymous said...

I think there is a hint of malevolent teletubby about that moomin thing but in a good way. Does that make sense. No obviously.

patroclus said...

Biscuits: 'A moomin crossed with an owl wearing a devil costume' would be the best Hallowe'en outfit ever.

Realdoc: Yes, there is something of the Po about it. Or is it Dipsy? I can't remember. Err, and I'm quite glad about that.

James Henry said...

It does look a bit like an owlbear, maybe.

BiScUiTs said...

Haha it would be a very interesting costume. No need to save it for Halloween, I think I'd even wear it to the supermarket.
It does have a hint of Tellytubby too, wow it's a real mish mash of things.
I like the owlbear! I wonder what sort of noise it would make.

James Henry said...

'Growwww....oot'.

FirstNations said...

can't beat the Santana 'Black Anunciation' cover. not even with a sad moom.
although it is a cute sad moom.