Saturday, April 28, 2007

Simulacra Saturday

Or...how to postmodernise one song to within an inch of its life:

Exhibit A:

Primal Scream - I'm Losing More Than I'll Ever Have (m4a) [Buy from Amazon]

Self-pitying 1989 indie-rock ballad that miraculously spawned:

Exhibit B:

Primal Scream - Loaded (m4a) [Buy from Amazon]

Seminal indie/dance crossover remix of the above, and the soundtrack to my first year at university, which in turn gave rise to:

Exhibit C:

team9 - Loaded vs Oops Oh My (m4a) [More team9]

Fabulous mashup of seminal indie/dance crossover remix of self-pitying 1989 indie-rock ballad with engagingly saucy R&B song about female masturbation.

All of them, of course, utterly brilliant.

Hm, work now.

3 comments:

Tim F said...

"Postmodernise" as verb? Like it...

Sylvia said...

I'm sorry, way over my head.....

patroclus said...

Sorry Sylvia, was being needlessly pretentious. The first song there is the original work of art, the second is a remix of it, and the third is a mashup of the remix with another song. Which means that the third song is a Baudrillardian simulacrum of the first, in that it's a work of art (I use the term loosely) in its own right, which barely resembles the original at all.

(But they're all great in their own way.)

PS Yes Bob, I've been at the Ladybird Book of Cultural Theory - aka Wikipedia - again.